A chainsaw may be very popular for Horror movies, but only a few people know the actual use and usage of it. Actually, a chainsaw is a very important and necessary tool for every woodworker. Even if you are a beginner, you cannot learn your works well without using a chainsaw.
The chainsaw has some technique to start properly. If you don’t know how to start it, you may face an accident. So you need to learn the steps before start your chainsaw.
There are many kinds of chainsaws you will get in the market or online. Some of those are
- Pocket chainsaws
- Battery-powered chainsaws
- Electric chainsaws
- Gas-powered chainsaws
- Pole chainsaws etc.
Guides on How to Start a Chainsaw
Once I was a beginner and using chainsaw seems very scary and difficult for me. But those days are long gone. Do not think it’s a difficult task. In this article, I will tell you some easy steps about how you can start a chainsaw.
Safety Equipment for Chainsaw Starting
Taking safety precautions is very important when you are going to use a chainsaw. The must use the equipment are
- Hand gloves
- Safety goggles
- First aid kit
- Ear protection
- Safety boots etc.
Best Brands of Chainsaw
Some of the best chainsaw brands are
- Stihl Chainsaws
- Poulan pro
- Remington etc
Also, the chainsaw has many parts that are important for you to know.
- Drive mechanism
- Oil holes
- Guide bar
- Guide slot
- Bar types
- Grease holes
- Laminated bars
- Safety bars
- Solid bars etc.
Using the Chainsaw
There are three types of work you can do with a chainsaw.
- Limbing and
Bucking requires cutting logs or trunks. Limbing means remove brushes and shrubs. And felling means cutting a tree in the up or making any wood project. You can use the saw in two places, on flat ground or between your legs.
How to Start an Echo Chainsaw
Echo chainsaws are usually used for light and small homework like cutting trees and firewood, cleaning bush, etc. the design and start process of echo chainsaw is very simple. You have to do only a few steps to make it start. I am going to tell you the easiest and safest way to do so
Things You Need to Turn on Echo Chainsaw
- Gas can
- Bar and chain oil
- Engine oil
Process of Starting the Chainsaw
To start the Echo Chainsaw, you need to learn a few tips. Here are them.
Wearing Safety Equipment
When you want to use chainsaws, lots of will be debris flying around you so wearing safety glasses and hand gloves are your priority. Select a flat surface ground for work. Put your echo chainsaw on the ground.
Preparing the Gas
Pull the bar and chain lubricant with the gas mix. Take off the cap from the engine and fill the tank with gas. Keep in mind that never leave both caps open.
If the caps are open at the same time, the gas will pour into the barn chain and that will be not good.
Starting the Echo Chainsaw
Continue the process and move the bar and chain which is placed at the front of the chainsaw. When you hold the corner of a handle, retain the chain brake otherwise the saw will fall in the ground.
Final Process of Chainsaw Instructions
Keep the chain from spinning when the saw turns over. When the engine starts, pull the choke lever and switch on the ignition switch. Set the chainsaw on the ground and you will see handles which are fit right in there. That will keep the saw moving.
Just pull the throttle trigger and you are ready to go to work.
Tip: Before start, read the manufacture book carefully.
How to Start a Poulan Chainsaw
Poulan chainsaw is another chainsaw which is almost the same as another model. The starting process is given below:
Things you will need for turning the Poulan saw on:
- Manual of the Chainsaw
- Bar and chain oil
- Engine oil
Read Guides and User Manual Before Starting Poulan Chainsaw
The first thing first, you should read the user manual or consult an experience one about the starting process of a Poulan chainsaw. The manual requires step by step process so read all that attentively.
Here is the Poulan chainsaw manual you can check to get a better idea about this chainsaw and how it works. You can proceed to start after reading it through.
Check the Fluid and Brake System Before Starting
Checking the fluid level is the second step you should do before work. Also, check the throttle if it is locked and the chain brake. The brake prevents you from the accident. Make sure any object would never be touched by the kickback zone of the bar.
What if Poulan Chainsaw Won’t Stay Running
Sometimes, using it for a long duration, you will see that the chainsaw doesn’t keep up the speed, r it doesn’t stay running for a long time. You just need to give it some rest.
Also, while using it you may see Poulan chainsaw won ‘t start when hot, so, wait for a little in between the uses of the chainsaw.
Easy Starting the Poulan Chainsaw: Steps
Here are the steps you can follow.
- You can activate it either manually or automatically. See if it has an on/off switch. Then you have to press the primer bulb 3 to 4 times. The air should be out completely from the fuel line.
- After that, move your machine at least 5 feet away before starting it. 2 stroke oil is best for the Poulan chainsaw.
- Now pull the throttle at least 3 times. When it starts, leave it for warming up and go to the next level. If it is not started, check the obvious stuff first.
How to Start a Homelite Chainsaw
Homelite chainsaw is very famous for woodworkers. They have two types of chainsaws. Electric and gas-powered. The starting process is given below,
- First, check the switch if it is run position. If the run position is on, make it off.
- Grab the Homelite handles properly as your handguard is correctly set.
- Remove every object near the Homelite chainsaw. The bar should be transparent.
- Now push the throttle handle and place your fingers correctly on the trigger.
- Press the fuel bulb couple of times, and pull the cords until the engine gets started.
- Put it on the flat surface and place your foot for holding it on the ground. When the engine running, set the choke to open section and pull the safety cord.
How to Start Craftsman Chainsaw
Craftsman chainsaw usually designed for normal and simple work. But you can also do large work with it. If you are a beginner, craftsman chainsaw will be best for you to learning work. The starting process is given below:
Use the Manual to Use and Start the Chainsaw
First and foremost, read the user manual twice or more for better understanding. After you have read it with some more guides on forums and woodworking blogs, you will feel easy to start a chainsaw.
These guides and manual instruction will help you to start Craftsman chainsaw rather easily.
Switching the Craftsman Chainsaw On
Put it on a flat surface and flip the switch on. Push the choke as much high as the machine does. Press the primer bulb more than 6 times. Hold the top of the handle by your left hand. Pull the cord until the engine start.
Some More Instruction
- The choker level should be placed in the lower. It is better to see this through.
- After the engine start, move the choke and pull the trigger again.
- Running chainsaw with the brake on can be very problematic. Check the switch before starting it.
- Then you should see that the speed of your chainsaw will increase and you can start work well.
Chainsaw Starting Instructions and Tips
Here are some of the problems of starting the chainsaws and guides on how to fight them. See below:
How to Start a Stubborn Chainsaw
If your chainsaw is unused for a long time, it might be hard for you to start it again. You have to follow some extra step to start your chainsaw
- Check if the container has gas. If it is, take all the gas out and put it in a safe place.
- Then get a 2.6 ounces fresh oil. Clean oil and clean gas are helpful to start a stubborn chainsaw. Shake your chainsaw well.
- After that, replace the spark plug if your chainsaw has it. There is a black wire which goes to the spark plug. There is an air filter in your chainsaw. Just give a little turn and slide it up. You will see dust over it. Clean the dust or replace it.
- Also, Cover the carburetor throat with tapes and clean the area. Now open the outer cover and you will get your spark. Open it with spark plug wrench. It will be better if you buy a new spark plug.
- Do not tighten this much. Do not hold the throttle too long otherwise you may break it.
- Some chainsaw has a stubborn starter where you have to give more effort.
Working with a chainsaw seems a very difficult task. But actually, it is not. You just need to learn the basics and proper care of your chainsaw. Chainsaw maintenance does not require many times so you can easily take care of it.
Your chainsaw needs to be clean after every use. When you are working, lots of debris and dust will be entering your chainsaw parts. But it will be better if you can clean every part of your chainsaw.
If your chainsaw has a dull blade, it will slow down your work and also may cause an accident. So keep sharpening your chainsaw blade regularly, or buy a new one.
You have to oil your chainsaw to prevent friction. Oil makes the chain work faster. Also, oil prevents your saw from overheat.
Using new gas is very important because the gas can lose its durability when you store your chainsaw for a long time.
Last but not the least, read the user manual properly. The proper maintenance tips will be written there step by step so follow those rules.
Last Few Words on Chainsaw Starting
If you properly know how to use a chainsaw and what is the best safety precautions for it, you can use your chainsaw for a longer time. And your chainsaw will run smoothly when you working with it. Keep in mind that, when the chainsaw is still stuck in the wood, do not start it otherwise you may get a kickback.
Although each chainsaw requires different features and maintenance. But most of them are almost the same. Try to avoid the risk of injuries. If you are a first-timer, consult with an experienced one and get some tips.
If you still did not buy a chainsaw, do some research online which chainsaw will be best for you. You will find the right chainsaws in your budget.